Amused And Confused

Am amused and confused in the rollercoaster of life with high anticipation that the amusement would outbalance confusion. Do please sit back, be amused and entertained but be you not confused.
~A Malaysian blog~

Saturday, February 19, 2005

Sepet

One chinese boy, one malay girl...one true love.




Few months ago, there were rumours that Sepet would not be shown in cinemas. Apparently the censorship board didn't seem to agree with few scenes. The ones I heard about were:

a) A number of Malay girls sitting on the stairs, searching for each others head lice.
b) A couple went to a Chinese restaurant for a drink (or meal?). The sensitive issue was the fact that the girl is a Muslim.

Well, somebody correct me if I'm wrong. I have short memories nowadays due to overloading my brain.

OK...the first time I watched the trailer online it was awesome. The trailer had me saying I have to go see this movie. However to my dissapointment it was still due to be released and so I said well, ok, I'll wait. Little that I know that it was facing a backlash, until I read Yasmin's blog. However, it survived with only 8 cuts amounting to less than a minutes worth.

It'll be released soon and I find that media are now promoting it with good reviews. Good.

It's about time that we watch quality films such as this (I love Yasmin's adverts and so, believe that Sepet is another good work of hers). I am growing tired with the film industry being inundated with Malay movies with

..same faces (erra, yusry..)
..steoreotyped story line
..not-so-funny comedy
..overacting actors/actresses

..and paling kelakar, cedok hollywood movie titles

Ok..enough said. Go watch Sepet. Good for your emotion running wild (so they say).

I am yet to watch it. According to my standards, movies with unpredicted scenes are the good ones (I hate reading movie synopsis). After I have watched it, I'll let you kow what I think of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home